Greytown, located in Wairarapa in the North Island was named after the Governor, Sir George Grey. The first settlers arrived from Wellington in 1854.
The Bank of New Zealand opened a branch at Greytown in December 1872 in rented premises on a site opposite the local newspaper office.
In 1875 the Bank erected its own building at 75 Main Street, the architect being Mr E Mahoney of Auckland.
In 1877 the archive records show that Manager had a horse and trap, and a groom to look after the horse; keep it well brushed and shod, and the harness well-oiled and polished. There was a stable at the back of the section and a good-sized paddock for the horse to feed in.
In 1904 the bank Manager replaced his horse with a motorcar, which was quite a novelty in those days. A maximum speed of 12 miles an hour was allowed through the main street, enforced so as not to be a danger to 'pedestrians, stray horses or chickens'.
The premises records show that during the 1934 Horoeka (Pahiatua) earthquake the building sustained damage which included the destruction of the chimneys. There was further damage to the building in the same year from severe gales.
Although no longer a BNZ branch the building is still in use today. BNZ continued to have a presence in Greytown until 1997.